Walnut Green Bean Spread
A tasty dairy free variation on vegetables or crackers. Serves 6 - 8 Hummus in a whole new way!
Recipe type: Appetizer
- ½ pound green beans
- Small onion, thinly sliced (1/2 cup)
- 2- 3 TB UP Extra Virgin Olive Oil (I used Wild Mushroom Sage Infused EVOO)
- ¼ tsp. Makai Sea Salt to taste
- ½ cup walnuts
- ½ tsp. white miso or 1 tsp lemon juice (I used fresh lemon juice)
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- Red Bell Peppers, diced to garnish top for color
- Carrots, Celery or red pepper, sliced thinly to use for dipping
- Wash & snip green beans. In medium pan low heat, steam the green beans covered in ½ inch of water until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain. Set aside.
- Slice the onion thinly, should be about ½ cup. Heat the EVOO in a pan medium heat. Add onions, sauté for 3 minutes. Add sea salt, reduce heat, and cook covered for 5 minutes or until soft. Uncover, raise the heat to medium high cook for 10 minutes until browned, stirring often.
- Grind walnuts in a food processor. Add the cooked green beans and onions process thoroughly. Add miso or lemon juice and pepper process for a few more seconds, until blended. Should be looking like a hummus spread.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Transfer to a glass bowl. Drizzle desired Extra Virgin Olive Oil on top before serving. I used Wild Mushroom & Sage Infused Olive Oil.
- Cut peppers, celery and/or carrots in thin pieces or use your favorite crackers to dip into this delicious goodness.
- Garnish with parsley or thinly diced red peppers as desired.