Mushroom Vegetable Medley Soup with Roasted Sweet Potato and Farro
Clean and Healthy full of flavor, color, vitamins, fiber and texture. The roasted sweet potato adds to the comfort food list.
Recipe type: Soup
- Mushroom Vegetable Medley Soup
- ½ cup Farro prepared as directed, set aside
- 1 cup roasted sweet potato (prepare ahead of time)
- 2 Leeks, sliced thinly, remove the outer layer, use only the white sections
- 1 cup Portobello mushrooms, diced in chunks
- ½ cup Shitake mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 2 TB UP Extra Virgin Olive Oil (Used Coratina EVOO)
- 1 cup carrots, sliced or cubed
- ½ cup broccoli florets, cut up small
- ½ cup cauliflower florets, cut up small
- ½ cup red cabbage, cut up small sections (save to last for serving)
- 1 – 2 boxes organic vegetable or chicken broth unsalted
- 1 - 2 TB Medici Italian Spice Blend (Local Spicery)
- Fennel Fused Extra Virgin Olive Oil to drizzle on top for serving
- Cook and drain the Farro as directed, keep crunchy tender. Set aside.
- Mix the Extra Virgin Olive Oil in with the Medici Italian Spice Blend. Set aside for 5 minutes before using.
- Sauté leeks and mushrooms in the UP Extra Virgin Olive Oil & Medici Italian Spice mixture for about 4 minutes.
- Add the broth, stir well. Add the other vegetables excluding the red cabbage. Simmer at a low boil for about 6 minutes. Remove from heat keeping the vegetables tender crunchy. Do not overcook the vegetables.
- Serving: Add spoonful of roasted sweet potato and Farro into the soup bowl, then add a small spoonful of red cabbage on the top of each bowl served to keep the colors vibrant.
- Finally, drizzle the Fennel Fused Extra Virgin Olive Oil on top with a dash of Makai or Flower of the Ocean sea salt to finish.
- Option: You can use fresh kale leaves without stems instead or red cabbage. Add the fresh kale on top of the soup before serving.